For Local Presidents
National PTA and NEA Team up to Honor Educators Nationwide During Teacher Appreciation Week and National Teacher Day
Save the Date! NEA and the National PTA are teaming up to celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week (May 2-6) and Teacher Day (Tuesday, May 3).
April 12, 2016
To help spread the word about extraordinary teachers and the outstanding work they do each day, NEA has put together this one-pager of Teacher Appreciation activities, digital resources, and tools.
Teacher Appreciation Artwork
NEA's 2016 Teacher Appreciation Week poster, web banners and buttons, Pinterest/Facebook/Instagram images and more are available for downloading at www.nea.org/teacherday. Additional resources are available from National PTA at: www.pta.org.
Help Spread the Word!
To participate in our celebration of outstanding teachers:
- Join us in saying "Thank You" by sharing one of the following on social media during Teacher Appreciation Week, May 2-6:
- A picture of yourself with your favorite teacher, past or present;
- A picture of your child with his or her teacher;
- A picture of yourself holding a piece of paper with a simple message saying Thank You to a teacher and why you're thanking him or her.
- Use the hashtag #ThankATeacher when sharing.
- Update your Facebook status to thank a teacher who made a difference in your life. You can use "It's Teacher Appreciation Week! Thank you [INSERT TEACHER NAME] for making a difference in my life." Or, write your own personal message.
- Use NEA's Teacher Week cover image on your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- Check out NEA's Pinterest boards and repin/share their pins!
Join NEA's #thankateacher conversation to raise awareness about the vital role teachers play in the lives of students. Here are a few sample tweets you can use:
- If you can write your name, #thankateacher
- If you followed your dreams, #thankateacher
- If you can read, #thankateacher
- If you can speak a second language, #thankateacher
- If you think outside the box, #thankateacher
- If you know how to play fair, #thankateacher
- Join the Department of Education's effort to say "thank you" to teachers by recommending a friend, a colleague, your child's teacher or the 7th grade teacher who inspired you! Be sure to tell them about a teacher you want to highlight along with a few details about why and how the Department of Education can contact them.
NEA has a number of activities and events taking place throughout Teacher Appreciation Week! Please follow their tweets and feel free to retweet them at www.twitter.com/NEAToday.
Want photos, videos, memes, and the latest on Teacher Week activities? Be sure to like NEA on Facebook and check their feed for the latest.
NEA will be posting a multitude of photos to #thankateacher throughout the week. Follow along or add your own photos to the stream!
Want To Do More?
Make a real difference in the lives of amazing teachers nationwide by taking these four easy actions:
- Petition your representative to issue a proclamation celebrating teachers and declaring Tuesday, May 3, National Teacher Day.
- Support public education by making a donation to the NEA Foundation. Your investment will help educators close achievement gaps, increase classroom innovations, provide professional development opportunities, and more.
- Be a partner in education. Find effective parent-teacher strategies that will have a direct impact on your child's success.
- Visit your local school and find out how you can help. Volunteer in the concession stand at a football game, donate supplies, or chaperone an event.