What to Do If You Get a RIF/Nonrenewal Notice

What to Do If You Get a RIF/Nonrenewal Notice

Uncertainty about upcoming school budgets often lead to teachers receiving reduction in force (RIF) notices in the spring. A RIF, or nonrenewal notice, notifies teachers that they will not be returning to their jobs the following school year. These notices must be provided in writing no later than May 1.

While many educators who are initially nonrenewed actually return to their classrooms in the fall, the prospect of losing a teaching position you have worked so hard for can be extremely difficult. CEA is here to guide you through the process, protect your rights, and ensure the best possible outcome.

If you receive a RIF/nonrenewal notice, here are four steps to take right now:

  • Contact your union. Don't resign; don't sign. Before signing any paperwork, talk to your UniServ Rep or local president about whether you should resign (in lieu of being non-renewed), your eligibility for unemployment, getting references, and maintaining your union member benefits.
  • Reference letters: Don't delay! Ask at least two administrators if they will provide you with a reference letter. Keep your union representative in the loop.
  • Medical coverage: Consider taking care of medical appointments and concerns before your deductible resets.
  • Personnel file: Now is a good time to contact HR and request a copy of your personnel file. If you have any disciplinary letters on file, discuss with your union representative whether you should submit a rebuttal/response letter before your employment ends, to clarify gaps or inaccuracies. This is your legal right.

Back to Top